Monday, April 27, 2009

DON'T CALL THAT LOVE

Break up. One more.. many more.
It all started few years back; took quite a while to dawn on me and now that I am dead sure; I thought I should share my feelings with with you.

If I have to summarize this whole article I would say in simple words-

There is nothing called love.
Other things are just a matter of detail.

So it begins….

Break up. One more.. many more.
In past few days I have heard so many couples break up and for such cruel reasons that it reconfirms my faith that human beings are actually the most sophisticated animals on earth for they have got the gift of reason, the meticulousness to distinguish between what the heart desires and where the brain guides.

Let us take some simple cases. Boy and girl going out together for 3 years or more, seemingly inseparable, living at the same place. Boy has to move out to different city for a job and the girl very soon finds a more ‘suitable’ guy. I am not taking the pain here to describe the adjective ‘suitable’, and leave it to the readers to fathom its vulgarity. Another case. Boy and girl going out together for quite some time. Suddenly one of the partners starts feeling that the other one is encroaching her/his freedom. Break up. And these are the cases where the couple was going out for a fairly long time. I am not even exploring the short term relationships and the reasons for their break up. I just do not want to fool around with what ever sanity is left in me.

I find it difficult to understand as to what happens. Do you stop liking the other person completely? Or are you so overcome by your new found love that you totally ignore the old one? Or do you get fed up or do you get bored? I mean three years of so called love, passion, closeness, sharing, giving… I mean three years of those laughing together, giggling, those kisses and caresses, that looking into the eye, those endless talks on phone, those thousand I-love-you’s.. I mean three years…. What was that. I mean how three years could just vanish in thin air leaving behind all the room for everything similar but with a new companion.

I do not believe in love. To me it is too pure a concept to exist in this rascal world. I believe in trust, in taking-care, in understanding, in making compromises, in values, in desire, in romance, in attraction, in lust, in sex, in joy .. but for god’s sake don’t call that love.

I think the feelings one shares with a new partner is same as the one which one shared with the old; the new partner may turn out to be your life partner or may be replaced by a further new one; but the point is if both the feelings are same then it is not love for love to me can not be so week as to demand a new partner to overcome boredom. The old relationship broke up; this means that what you felt then what not love; and so the feeling now with the new partner is also not love for it’s the same feeling as the one which you felt with the old partner when he/she was new.

In a conversation with a friend few days back she told me that there is nothing wrong in having a boy friend. I said, true. She said that one would today generally not get married early in life and so one needs a partner to ‘be’ with. The justification was shocking or one can say revealing. After all man is a social animal.

To summarize once gain, I would define the modern love as nothing but the phantom butterflies in a ‘hungry’ stomach- a hunger which is an outcome of perfectly healthy desire, a completely natural need. But please don’t call that love.

p.s. -I am not trying to fault anyone here or get judgemental. We all belong to the same category. I am merely questioning or rather denying a notion.

21 comments:

abhinav said...

Very true KK..

This topic makes for one of those late night discussions we used to have in the hostel.. or may be even for one over coffee in barista.. with chakka expressing his socio-political point of view..

Dutta said...

Well Yes we surely have downgraded the word LOVE by blatantly using it .. for everything that is not LOVE.

But then What is LOVE ?!! Even that can't be answered .. or can it be ?!!

Unknown said...

Dude, love (in this context) is just a fancy name given to sexual attraction. So, breaking up is quite normal, human beings are not meant to have sex only with one partner. That is the most natural thing.

@jain
yeah babby :)

afsane said...

@Som- U missed the whole point... there is nothing called love.

@Abhinav..- U don't know how much I miss those days..

S. said...

Ah Mr. Kaushalendra.
We meet again.

And well, we both are at the same crossroads as it seems.

Love, once something so well understood and suddenly an alien concept...

when memories of one year could hurt so much, I can very well understand what three years could do to you.

Ah! Life and its bits and pieces of Ironies.

Dutta said...

I did not miss the point ... :) The problem with LOVE is it doesn't have any clear definition and is totally based on ones perspective ....

You haven't seen God .. so you can say there is no God .. but there are people who has felt the Almighty's presence ... we can say those were all hallucination or too much of GAS !!

Its more an open case rather than a closed one you have tried to portray it to be ...

afsane said...

@ G Khan- Thanks for reading the blog. But, pardon my memory but I don't remember when we last met. And I am also quite confident that we are not on the same crossroads. I would also like to add that the piece of writing is no where related to my own personal experience or any bitter feeling.

@Som- I find it quite amusing that I was thinking of writing a similar article on GOD as well.

afsane said...

@Som- I would also be interested in any other possible definiton or description of love which you can think of. You may not necessaarily agree with that description but I am just asking for an alternative which u may have in your mind.

abhinav said...

Somehow I feel that we have had this discussion earlier too. At that point also we had concluded that there is nothing like love. In fact, I distinctly remember Chakka saying that love is nothing but "sex+care". Don't remember what were your views at that time though.

Vikas Gelara said...

though I am a silent reader, but after reading 'sex+care' definition of 'love'.. I couldn;t resist myself to leave a comment..
YES, very true!

afsane said...

@all
thanks for reading and for all teh comments..
something which i noticed now is the fact that how i have manged so many comments in a span of just 2 days...(and i am hoping to get more comments from some of my other regular readers)...
love and sex sell.. rag pickers do not :)

Dutta said...

"Of the various pleasures that a man can offer himself, the greatest is pride - the pleasure he takes in his own achievements and in the creation of his own character. The pleasure he takes in the character and achievements of another human being is that of admiration. The highest expression of the most intense union of these two responses - pride and admiration - is romantic love. Its celebration is Sex." ....

Ayn Rand

Rohit Prateek said...

A very sensitive topic has been addressed with such stupendous ease - the very trait of a master class author !! The things you have said here are the feelings of a zillion others including myself just that it is terribly tough for us to limn those thoughts so articulately and beautifully in a blog like this !! Kudos dude ... way to go

Aashutosh said...

I know not if i m in a position to comment....but somehow at some points i think u ve failed to strike the chord with me....for instance are we not overstating the purity of love???....i wont say a man who spends all his life with a single woman is definitely in love with her....at the same time cupid can strike more than once for many ppl.....in fact u can love more than one person at the same time....Its just the way u can love Physics and Mathematics the same and cant choose between them....n contrary to ur 'dont call it love' i would rather prefer to call every thing as love....be it a crush,an infatuation or lust....Love for me stands equal with the adjectives i have mentioned......Finally it all depends on how one defines love....
As of the flow of the blog and the writing style....its stupendous and I totally agree with parteek on this....

Unknown said...

I am afraid I do not agree with all that has been said here (and the blog). Further, its not easy to define an emotion so intense. From where I stand and see its a matter of perspective. Especially when you are in a relation you feel that the whole world's beautiful and the moment you break up, everything turns into a moot point. So most perspective are reflective of the side you belong to.

For the little bit of Ayn Rand-ish thoughts left in me, I whole heartedly agree with what Rand says (as quoted by Som).

kunal kishore said...

The understanding of love and other related aspects expressed in this article has been supported with several instances that the writer has experienced. However, there are a number of love relationships that are successfully converted into marriage. And the ratio of relationships failing to relationships converting into marriage is strong enough to say that love very much exists. The writer has mentioned only those which failed. He never mentioned about relationships that were successful. Hence the conclusion drawn is undoubtedly invalid.

rohit said...

wtf.....feels like a GD going on....all i would say is that its abstract.......(not love, the GD)

rathore said...

Old cliche...but it seems we lost the writer context n enter a GD. How u can forget someone so easily whom u say "I LOVE YOU". Question is to think tht is it love/lust/care/sex/timepass activity etc..???.or just an emotional Attachayar to someone n your own. n also wht abt ur morality,faithfulness,trueness.Meanwhile i wd like to drink tht Cosmic Mixture ...Care+sex to have love or true love......whatever manufacturer n users understand.

Anonymous said...

hulo ur writing skills are really very good and i totally agree with ur views. m impressed.

divya madaan said...

this is an eye opener for all those who believe that they are doing justice to themselves and others while switching on to multiple partners......at lest reading this once makes you feel that you are "human".

Nidhi Sharma said...

this is actually funny...all this happens in 'modern love'..but that doesn't mean it is not love....it is unplanned...not like a short term or a long term contract....it can be for a month or for a lifetime..... u mean its not love if people break up????....u don't sign a bond to stay in a relationship for a lifetime...break-ups happen for different reasons....its imp to move on and not hate the other person in the end and remain loyal till u are in a relationship.....time heals everything..doesn't mean we "don't call that love"...p.s...this is 'just' my view!!