Wednesday, April 18, 2007

love

LOVE
.........

I saw blood drip from my veins, staining the milky marble floor,as I sat
panting ,by back resting against the hospital bed.As I closed my eyes my
brain was flooded with the memory of past two months .

The joy I derived from the thought of doing an mba from Harvard university
was slightly marred by the strain I had to bear making numerous rounds of the
passport office. But the job was done finally and now I had to get a visa
for States. As I entered the visa office, I was guided to a room where I had to get my
documents verified. I was greeted by a pretty girl there. She was wearing
an embroidered white top and denim blue jeans, and was looking extremely elegant.
To tell you the truth, I was floored by her beauty at the first sight.

"can I have your documents please " she said , tucking a lock of hair behind her ear.
"Yes, of course " I replied drawing my attention back to earth.
As she was going through my documents, she suddenly looked at me
and caught me gazing at her. I felt slightly embarrassed and started pretending
that i was examining the room.
" Your photo in your passport, doesnot match your face."
"What?"
The fact was that the photograph in the passport was an old one
in which I looked different. But I had never thought even in my wierdest dreams
that this would become a cause good enough to raise an alarm in head of this pretty
looking stupid girl. But I had to get my work done. I did not want to mess
it up at the very end. I had to convince her that it was me.

" Kinndly look carefully, it is one hundred percent me in the photograph ." I tried
to be as polite as possible.
But she was not convinced.
" Must be a new recruit... that is why she is so fussy" I thought.
" Look maam, I am an ex-student of IIT Kanpur and have been working with
the firm Inductis for past three years, which is an internationally reputed firm.
You can have a look at my identity card." I said reaching for my wallet in my
back pocket.
"When I do not trust your passport, what makes you think that I will trust your
identity card."
I was really frustrated.
"What the hell is this non sense... do I look like a terrorist to you about to
create another 9/11 ?"
My tone was rude.
"Look Mr. Abhinav Sharma, I am only doing my job. I will have to talk to my boss in
this regard . Follow me."
"Please, go ahead ."

I do not know what the boss saw in me , wether he liked my face or he was
convincedby my I-card, but my job was finaally done without any more trouble.
Once the tension of the visa and passport eased off I was really annoyed at
having screwed up the conversation with this beautiful girl. I have never been
good at talking to girls and perhaps that was the reason why I had never had
a girlfriend ever in my life.

"To hell with it " I said, more to console than to convince myself.

But perhaps lady luck was more kind to me this time, and sooner than later
I again met the 'visa girl.' I could not think of any other identification
(I did not know her name till then) for her when i saw her at the Adidas
showroom checking out a pair of joggers.

"What is this charming girl doing, buying a pair of joggers intead of high heel
sandals." I contemplated. I did not want to miss out this opportunity and went
to her.

"Hi...."
As soon as she recognized me her sweet round smiling face turned flat and
and a distinct frown suggested that she had not forgotten my rudeness.

"I am profoundly sorry for my behaviour that day. And I..."

"And now you would like to make up with me. And ask me my name and ..."

" To which you would say a straight no and turn me down completely or.. since
I have already apologised to you and you seem to be a nice girl to me,
you might as well consider telling me your name which is.... "

I was waiting for her reply, holding my breath , motionless and concerned not to
send a wrong signal.On the other hand she was staring straight at me, nibbling her
lower lip, as if I was a code which she needed to decode, and that too, immediately.

"Anjali Gupta" she replied to my delight.
"Nice name ."
" Would you like to have coffee with me." I asked.
" I dont take coffee ."
" Neither do I. Come on."

Soon we were sitting at the Barista.
"What will you have ? Tea ." I guesssed.
"Yes."
" One tea for the lady and a hot chocolate for me " I ordered.

"So what do you do apart from identifying terrorists." I teased.
"To be honest you did resemble a terrorist in that photograph, with your moustache"

You might be surprised to know that I had a moustache a year ago and I shaved it off
only after I learnt from a magazine that they can act as women repeller more often
than not.

" So how do I look now , without one ."
"Hmmmmm.... very much, unlike a terrorist ."
" Oh! I am honoured. Thanks for the complement. "
"But seriously, whats your story ?"

Sipping my hot chocolate I listened to her. She belonged to Bombay,but had
done her masters from Delhi University and then had joined the visa office
two months ago. And she loved sports.

"Now that is something common between us. I love sports too. Was the captain of the
basketball team in my college. " I said.
"Impressive ."
" Thank you. Appreciations have become rare these days. What do you play ?" I asked.
" I am more into atheletics. I go for jogging every morning." she replied taking a sip.
" So thats the reason you were looking out for the joggers? "
" Yes ?"
" And that is the reason for a toned body and a fair glowing skin ?"
She smiled.
" You guys start immediately. Dont you ."
This is the problem with Indian girls. You can not even complement them.

"I believe that, beauty is meant to be apprecaited and it should be. There is no
meaning of the 'Taj' if there is no one to see and complement it. "
"You IITians have a reason for everything. Even for hitting out on pretty girls."
"Ya,that is why we are famous all over the world " I said with an artificial pride.
We ended our respective drinks.
" When will I have the pleasure of seeing you again."
"Not before the next weekend ."
That was a long duration for me.
" And when can I talk to you again? I would be glad if it is before the next weekend"
I said trying to mimic her.
" So you want my number?"
" Affirmative " I noded my head.

I called her the next day and convinced her for a date a day later.
Thus began our friendship and before we could realize, we were madly in love with
each other.

The table was set, the order had been placed and everything seemed perfect.
I was celebrating valentine's day for the first time and had made special plans.
Instead of spending the day at some other place i had invited her to my home.

"Half past six, an hour still before she would arrive."
I muttered. I rechecked my look in the mirror and as I adjusted my hair the bell rung.

I opened the door and and was stunned. She was looking awesome.
I have already told you she was beautiful but she looked really special today.
She was wearing a black dress which ended just below her knee and had matching sandals.
A silver necklace glimmered around her neck. Her hair was untied and she had put on
lipstick, not very dark but just a natural shade which made it appear extremely
kissable.

"Can I come in."
" Yes, Yes sure." I smiled at her and she smiled back.
"A little early ?"
"Just wanted to give you a small surprise ."
"Or was it that you could not wait any longer to meet me ?" I mocked.
"Shut up." she said hitting me with her purse.

"Would you also like to have champagne" I asked her putting a slice of her favourite
onion capsicum pizza on her plate.
"Yes" she replied as her face simmered in the flickering candle light.
I poured the sparkling champagne into the crystal glasses.

"Would you like to dance with me?"
I took her hand into mine and we could feel the warmth of each other's breadth as we
moved on the soft instrumental music.
"Can I kiss you? " I asked.
"No." she replied calmly.
I respected her and we continued dancing.
"Tell me , how much do you love me ?" she asked after a while.
" I dont know. The only thing I can say is that I love only you and would never ever
fall in love with anyone else."
" Really ? What if i leave you and go out with some othe guy. wont you go out with
any other girl then" she said smiling.
"No".
"Stop lying you scoundrel " she said punching me on my chest with her fist.
I firmed my grip on her back.
" I am not lying " I said drawing her closer staring straight into her clear eyes,
" I would kill myself before seeing out another girl. "
Her face suddenly became stern. There were no words exchanged for a few moments and
then she kissed me on my cheek and placed her head on my shoulders.
"I love you".
"So do I" I replied lost in the aroma of her perfume.


"It is quite late . I think I should go back home now." she said
"come. I will drop you by my car."

"Happy valentine's day" I said as I saw her adjust her hair which was flowing in
the wind.

When I opened my eyes I could see saline bolltles hanging over me againt the white
ceing walls. The last memory which I could recollect was that of a pair of headlights
heading straight towards me. It took me only a split second to comprehend what had
happened.
"Where is Anjali" I thought.
I tried to get off my bed and felt an enormous pain in my back and fell down.
A nurse came rushing in and picked me up.
"Where is Anjali" I asked. "
" She is alive ." she said.
"I want to see the doctor ."

" Mr. Abhinav , you should take rest " the doctor adviced.
" No , I want to see Anjali first"
"She is on life support system and there is one more bad news " the doctor's voice
was grave.
"What?"
"She will never be able to walk again. Her spinal cord was badly damaged in the
accident."
I felt as if some one had stabbed a chilled dagger into my heart.
"I want to see her."

As I entered her ward I saw her lying still in the bed. Her face was pale, badly
battered and bruised. There was earring in only one of her ears and the other side
was heavily bandaged. She was looking hedious and I turned my face from her as I
felt like throwing up.

" She will never be able to walk again. "
The doctor's words kept reverberating in my years as I was lying the whole day in my
sickening room. Her gruesome face was right infront of my eyes. I was restless.
"What have i done to her." I thought as i felt a vacuum consume me.
It is all because of my carelessness.
" She will never walk again."
A tear rolled down the corner of my eyes.

It was midnight and there was no sound. I got off my bed and went to Anjali's room
and bolted the door. She was the same as in the morning, lying down bereft of any
consciosness, cold and calm. I looked at her with a blank face. Then i turned over
her and kissed her with all the passion and energy our relationship shared.
With one hand I plucked off the life supporting system.
I could feel her heart beat die out.
I removed my lip from hers and fell on the floor like
tree chopped off its trunk.

I took out a knife and slit open my veins.

5 comments:

Aashutosh said...

sudden shift of language but not quality of posts....u have maintained the quality that was expected from u...an ethereal love story...n a befitting tragic ending!!!keep posting!!

Animall said...

the Kishore i knew has matured into a good story teller. Great work friend. I have been planning to write a story since ages but could never form a plot or even if I did, could never proceed. seems you have read a lot in the last few years. very good story. do visit my blog too if you can. it's kinda dormant these days though.

uatu said...

hmm..nishabd kar diya yaar..
kya kahaani thi...

kya screenplay tha..
kya ending thi..
waah waah

divya said...

i m speechless....
fantastic story and awsome ending....
you are just toooo good....

incredible said...

"Death" - the final destination is it?